Our Story

Our Story

We might not look it but we’re over 140 years old.

Founded in 1873, Greenview was one of many Brethren churches that started around that time in the Glasgow area.¹ Our church has met in various locations in the Pollokshaws area of Glasgow.² We moved to our present site in 1934, buying our present building from Pollokshaws East Church of Scotland. The building has undergone quite a few upgrades since then.

Though we are an independent church, Greenview has always placed a high value on partnership with other like-minded churches.  As a current expression of that, we are part of the West of Scotland Gospel Partnership (since 2014) and the Fellowship of Independent Evangelical Churches (FIEC) (from 2018).

Throughout our history, a number of Greenview members have travelled to other countries to give witness to Jesus.  Their mission has been to serve the needy and share the gospel of Jesus Christ. The countries they have served include India, Zambia, Ethiopia, Bangladesh, Brazil, Argentina, Tanzania and Lebanon.

¹ For a bit of history on the Brethren movement: “Gathering to his name”, Tim Grass.

² Our locations and names have included: 1874, Templars’ Hall; 1876, Gospel Hall, New St., Cogan St; 1920, Greenbank Hall, Greenbank St; 1934, Greenview Hall (Greenview Evangelical Church, now Greenview Church), 1439 Pollokshaws Rd. Source: Open Brethren in Scotland 1838-2000 – BrethrenPedia.